Wednesday 29 April 2015

Greenock Drug and Alcohol Work - A story

Today we hear from Alan and his story about the work at Greenock


.. Alan, Greenock

I have had quite a journey since I first came into contact with the Salvation Army and without them I know I would not be here today to tell you about it.

I had been evicted from my flat, lost my family, job, dignity and self-esteem, all due to my alcoholism. I was suicidal and did not see any future for me at all.

Social Work referred me to Hope House, an environment that I knew nothing about. I spent almost 3 months there, at what was the worst time in my life.

The staff at Hope house continually tried to motivate me and never gave up on me. The chaplain put lots of time and energy into trying to help me. It is only now when I look back that I am grateful that they never gave up.

At this point I still needed alcohol everyday and I was a physical wreck, I was also mentally and spiritually bankrupt.

I had reached my gutter and it was then that staff informed me that if my conduct continued I would be asked to leave. (Looking back they were right: my behaviour was totally unacceptable.) My reply to this was ‘what do you want me to do?’ (I was beat)

Staff then took the time to speak to me and gave me some options. One of these options was Fewster House and the beginning of my path to recovery. The staff team threw their support behind me and ensured that I took up my place at Fewster House.
At Fewster House I learned about myself, my actions, responsibilities and the affect that my addiction had on myself and those around me. I learned to deal with issues one day at a time and started to build a life in recovery.
There were still many hurdles and anxieties to deal with: in particular moving into accommodation in the community.
This is when Greenock Floating Support Service came in. They worked with me to find appropriate accommodation and to support me through the transition of moving from Fewster House to a shared house (3 people) in a fantastic tenement in the west end of Greenock.
As well as supporting me to deal with any tenancy related issues they also continued support with my alcoholism. They never gave up on me and allowed me to see the potential within myself. I started volunteering at a Salvation Army shop and also went back to college to retrain and educate myself.
Now I am looking to get to work and to move to my own tenancy. I am at the final stages of hearing about a position with the Scottish Drugs Forum which will give me a paid placement to complete my SVQ in Social Care.
After 2902 days of sobriety, I am still taking it one day at a time.
Words can’t convey my gratitude or appreciation to the staff of the Salvation Army as they saved my life. They also supported me to see that I could have a future.
Thanks for not giving up on me.
Alan.

No comments:

Post a Comment